Saturday 24 March 2012

Opinions Wanted!

In this current period of austerity; opinion matters. Bloggers worldwide are making comment on the impact of the  `Global Recession` and how we can pull our failing finances back into the black. Since the creation of the written word people have shared their views with others. The exchange of ideas and opinions has shaped the society we dwell in today. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of this particular blog. Designed to enable would be poets and authors a platform where their work can be hosted and commented on was the original intention. The irony of course is the material presented here is in abundance, however the critiques and comments are sadly lacking. Writers require external opinions in regard to their work, critiques and observations are necessary to allow the artist to develop his particular style, his voice and of course his form. Criticism permits the artist to flourish at the same time it offers the commenter a form of catharsis. This particular blog is an eclectic mix of poetry, short stories and personal opinions which has taken the individual artists’ considerable time to compile. Surely then, we as readers can spare a few minutes to offer back encouragement or opinion immaterial if that opinion be negative or positive?

4 comments:

  1. In my opinion this all makes a lot of sense. I don't really understand the lack of comments on the blog but I've accepted that that is the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it would seem that nobody wants to comment even though as you have said that everyone is happy to write stories etc.

    to me it is a matter of feedback. If I gave you something to read and you read it and simply handed it back to me without comment of any kind I would certainly view this behaviour as odd - to say the least.

    In fact I would probably draw a negative conclusion from it. And I probably wouldn't bother you with the arduous task of reading my material again. Why bother?

    This may be an exaggeration; but I think the blog is headed that way. To me there is this silence on the blog where there should at least be some reciprocal feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is an example from Orson Scott Card's website on writing, which shows the process of feedback and self editing at work (I recommend this to anyone who is seriously interested in writing):

    http://www.hatrack.com/writingclass/lessons/1998-10-29.shtml

    copy and paste the above into the search bar.

    ReplyDelete