Friday 11 January 2013

Freshly Cut Grass


“Polished stone, you always liked polished black marble didn’t you Martin?”

“I did once, but why must you keep bringing up things I did or indeed liked in the past, the past is simply that - the past.”

“I know but it’s nice to reminisce, it’s good to remember how we really were and who we really were.”

“I’ve never changed, my tastes may have but I certainly haven’t.”

“You say that now, however, I would definitely beg to differ. You watch opera, when you never before, you read Shakespeare where before you never would. So you see you really have changed, for the better may I add.”

“Exactly my point, my tastes may have altered but I myself have not. O for goodness sake what does it matter if I like black marble or not, it’s here now, so do stop banging on about it.

I’m sorry …it’s just…it’s just…I don’t want to upset you and you are clearly upset. You did mention once years ago that black marble was your favourite. Well that’s what I got and now you simply detest it, hate it even.

“I don’t detest anything, black marble is just fine, it’s here, it’s done, I can live with it. You bloody well can remove that stupid bloody vase thing which Janice keeps filling up with water and fresh flowers though, that really gets on my nerves.”

O for goodness sake, endless complaining… Janice has a focal point; surely even you don’t begrudge her that?”

“No I suppose not, but you know I detest flowers, especially orchids."

Pulling a small chamois from her jacket, Betty polished the newly adorned gold leaf letters on the black marble stone.

                                                                     Martin Toner

                                                 17th February 1956 - January 12th 2013

                        Beloved husband of the late Elizabeth Toner

                      Dearly beloved father of Janice

                                        RIP

1 comment:

  1. What a marvellous piece of work. Keeps you guessing right to the end.
    Write on dude!

    ReplyDelete