Sunday 1 February 2015

North Wind Blowing



The wind had begun blowing quite hard as I stepped down on to the platform at Dounitch railway station. This was to be an interim stop on my route north. My connecting train wasn’t due until eight o’clock that evening and the thought of hanging around a draughty station was not my idea of pleasure, so I had decided to explore the town for the next four hours.
My journey had begun at Garthwood city where I had been living. The flat I had occupied was ‘bijou’ which meant that you couldn’t swing a cat round in it, but it did me as I was working down at one of the city’s eating houses. The boss was a fair man who cooked wonderful meals but paid minimum wage to his workers. Often I would wait behind after the restaurant had closed to get any of the left overs.
One morning when I had awakened, yet again feeling as if the walls were falling in on me and decided that this was my last day in Garthwood. Surely I could get a better job further up north where most of the country’s affluence was. I had collected a little bit of money from eating ‘left overs’ or not eating at all and I could live for at least a week on what I had. So… now was the time. Every journey starts with one step and other well known sayings.
My boss at the restaurant was not happy when I told him I intended moving on the next day, but eventually he gave me my pay up to date and grudgingly wished me good luck, for, as he added, I was going to need it.

Dounitch town looked deserted as I left the station after putting my bits of luggage into one of the lockable cabinets by the ticket office. A spoor of snow blew around the street and the trees by the road shook menacingly as an icy gust tugged at their branches. A bill board message warned of impending blizzards forecast for that weekend with an icy stretch of weather to follow. I realised that my proposed journey north should have waited for a few months. Ah well, I thought, too late now.

As I walked up the road I looked up at the houses on either side. Curtains were drawn and in some cases, storm shutters had been pulled across. It looked like a town in a state of besiege awaiting the arrival of an adversary. The shops were battened down and from what I could make out through the windows; the shelves were nearly empty of any goods. Surely, somewhere must still be open, I reasoned with myself.

A bit ahead I saw a long stretch of light on the road. It was shining from a doorway above which a rickety sign hung. The joints screeched as the wind plucked at it. It was weather-beaten, but a welcome sight. The King’s Head Public House. A harbour, for a wandering soul in need of shelter and some liquid comfort on such a night as this.
The door hinges creaked as I pushed them open and stepped inside. Ahead of me stood a bar behind which sat numerous bottles on shelves. Two or three optics hung at the end of the bar with several beer siphons at the fore. A man with a knitted cardigan stood behind the bar.
“Cold night,” I grunted to the man, whom I took to be the publican. “Can I have a whisky please?”
The man looked behind him and taking a glass drew some liquid from the optic.
“Will it be a large or small one?”  he asked.
“Better make it a large one,” I laughed, “I’m freezing.”

The fiery liquid coursed its way down my throat and I felt a warmth spread through my body. I had sat down at the nearest table and after removing my coat and scarf surveyed the scene about me.
The room had been some sort of old meeting room and the walls were covered with dark wood embellished with carvings. Rosettes, branches of ivy and egg and dart designs covered the walls and ceiling. An odour of antiquity permeated the surroundings and lent an ambience of past grandeur to the place

“What was this place originally, “I asked the landlord. “Was it a club house of some sort?”
He grunted and finished drying a glass before he replied.
“It was the meeting place of the Gentle. They were like the Quakers, went about helping poor folk who had fallen on hard times.”
“What happened to them?” I asked.
“What happens to all those who try to fight against something larger than themselves. They realised that it was a ‘no win’ situation. Eventually they just moved on…somewhere else.”

The entry door squeaked as three burly men came in.
“Evening Jeb,” said one of the men to the barman. He was a giant of a man, at least 6 and half feet tall and built like a brick…wall. He sported a gold ring in his ear and a black beard. He glanced at me suspiciously.
“Hi there, Mory,” replied the barman. “Hell of a night!”
Mory and the two other men sat at a table over on the far side of the bar. They talked among themselves and then one of the other men, a small mousy looking creature approached the bar.
“I-I-I w-w-want t-t-t-two whiskies and a r-r-r-rum,” he stuttered painfully.
“Ok, ok, Guy, I’ll bring them over to you,” Jeb the publican replied, trying not to smile. He looked over at me to see if I found anything amusing, but I put on my disinterested, poker face and he returned to making up Guy’s order.

I sat gazing into space as I counted the minutes mentally before I could escape from this place where I felt as welcome as the Black Death and catch my train.
Checking my watch I realised that at least two of the hours had passed and with only another two hours, one hundred and twenty minutes, seven thousand, two hundred seconds, I could brush the dust of the town of Dounitch from my shoes and get on with my life, or so I thought.

“It’s a whiteout!” came a voice from the front door as it screeched open. A man rushed into the pub shaking snow off his coat. “At least two inches and a lot more to come!”
Jeb stepped forward and began drawing a beer for the arrival.
“Do you reckon it’ll stop the buses running, Saul?” he asked as the frothy ale splashed into the glass.
“Reckon everything will stop in an hour unless it lets up.” Saul said as he accepted his drink.
Jeb looked over at me.
“You got far to go tonight?” he asked not unkindly.
“I have a train out at eight o’clock this evening,” I replied. “I’m heading up North.”
A burst of laughter came from the three men at the far table.
“No way any trains will be running tonight, not with this snow.” chortled Mory.
“N-n-no way j-j-j-jose!” Guy mocked in a high pitched staccato voice.

The third man of the group stood up and came over to where I was sitting.
“Sorry, if we find your misfortune a joke, my friend,” he drawled. “It’s just we don’t get many strangers in our little town. My name is Eli Fallon and I’m the town’s undertaker.
He proffered his hand which I shook.
“I’m Joe Ritton, new in from Garthwood, but that’s ok, Mr Fallon,” I replied. “It’s just that it looks like I’ll have to spend the night in the railway station waiting room.”
Eli Fallon stroked his clean shaven chin and looked thoughtful.
“I think that will be the simplest solution,” he replied before going back to his table and sitting down.

I sat considering my options. I realised the bar would be shutting sometime near eleven o’clock. It would be the landlord’s discretion, but I couldn’t see good old Jeb, keeping the bar open for one minute extra than he had to. Sometime thereafter I must have nodded off. The whisky, the warmth and the mumbling of the three men at the far table had a strong soporific effect on me and I dropped gratefully into a welcome sleep.

Suddenly I was awoken by the clamour of people talking, arguing and making their points very loudly. The room was full of men dressed in dark clothes. Some of them sported bushy beards, but the most of them were clean shaven. The bar, the three men at the far table, Jeb and his customer had vanished and all I could see was a sea of faces.
All at once the men parted to let something come towards me. It was a female deer and her eyes were wide with terror.
“You must help her!” shouted one of the men.
“It is in your power to do it!” screamed another.
“Yes and we will aid you.” whispered a voice by my left ear.
The poor animal was terrified and did not know which way to turn to escape from the throng. I felt powerless to do anything except put my hand out and attempt to let it smell my scent in an effort to calm it.

“Sir! Sir!” a voice called out awakening me from my sleep. “Mr Ritton are you alright?” It was Jeb, he had come over to collect my glass when he had seen me in some distress.
“No…thanks, I’m fine,” I mumbled, a little embarrassed. “I just fell asleep and had a cracking nightmare.”
“Well, you better prepare yourself for a shock, the snow is about a foot deep outside and I don’t think you have any chance of making it to the station tonight!” Jeb said.
“Well, I haven’t got much of a choice have I?” I grunted. “You’ll be shutting up soon, wont you?”

Just at that moment there was a loud scream from outside the front door of the pub. The door gave an almighty squeal and a loud thump resounded in the vestibule.
“What the hell?” shouted Jeb. “It looks like a woman.”
Mr Fallon jumped up from his chair and went across to where the person lay on the floor.
“You’re right, it is a woman and it looks as if she is injured!” he shouted.
Mory came over and looked down at her with distaste.
“It’s Skanky Eve from the caravan park. She has obviously fallen out with someone. She is bad news”
“Y-y-yes, i-i-its her,” stuttered Guy. “R-r-reckon you s-s-should k-k-ick h-h-her b-backside out o-o-of h-h-here.”
Saul helped the woman to her feet and sat her down at one of the tables.
“Can we have a brandy for her, Jeb? She seems to have had a bit of tussle with someone. She has blood on her face”
“And who’s going to pay for it? She won’t have any money on her if I know her of old!” Jeb grunted.
All at once I stood up and reaching into my pocket pulled out a five pound note.
“Here,” I said. “Take it out of this.”

Mory, Guy and Mr Fallon went back to their table and made ready to leave. They began putting their coats on and wrapping scarves about their necks.
Saul had gone to get some water to wipe the blood from Eve’s brow. It looked as if she would have a black eye in the morning.
I sat close to her not knowing what to say.
“You’re not from around here, are you?” Eve asked.
“No,” I replied hesitantly. I just stopped off here on my way north.”
Saul arrived back with a damp cloth and between us we managed to make Eve look a little more presentable.
Mr Fallon and his two comrades paused at our table as they made their way to the door.
“I trust you have recovered my dear?” the undertaker said. Mory and Guy just glared at Eve.
Eve looked at the three of them and smiled. “Yes, thank you and I’ll get back to my part of town as soon as is possible,” she replied sarcastically.

Five minutes later the three men returned.
“It’s hellish out there Jeb!” said Eli Fallon brushing the snow from his shoulders. “It’s a foot and a half deep and the wind chill factor is in the low minuses. You could die out there!”
Mori approached the bar and looking at Jeb said,
“You can keep the bar open all night, can’t you? At your discretion?”
Jeb looked uncomfortable. “Well, yes I could, but my licence only allows me to serve alcohol until midnight.”
“A-a-all w-w-we w-w-want is s-s-somewhere w-w-warm to w-w-wait out the s-s-snowstorm!” pleaded Guy.
“We won’t trouble you for drinks after hours, Jeb,” Mr Fallon confirmed.

Eve had relaxed as the night wore on. Every so often someone would check outside, but the storm roared on unabated.
I decided to find out where Eve had come from that night and who had assaulted her.
“My boyfriend has been dealing in drugs and had just received a large shipment. I hid them from him and wouldn’t tell him where they were.” she confided to Saul and I. “He and his three buddies were roughing me up to give them the location of the drugs when I escaped and ran out into the storm. Lucky in a way it was so wild, I was able to hide from them.”
“But…won’t they be looking for you now?” I asked in a horrified voice.
“Nah,” said Eve disdainfully. “They are a load of pansies, scared to get their Gucci shoes wet or their hair blown out of shape!”

The evening rolled on and as the midnight hour approached Jeb announced ‘last orders’. I had a whisky as a night cap and Saul and Eve had a brandy apiece, paid for by yours truly.
The three men at the far table had dozed off and Saul had found a couch to lie down on leaving Eve and I sitting alone.
“Why is it no one seems to like you?” I asked.
“Ah… it’s because my family and our relations live on the east side of town in caravans,” she confided. “The town’s folk call us trash and no better than tramps, but we’re just not as well off as a lot of them.”
“What will happen when your boyfriend catches up with you tomorrow,” I asked, fearing the answer.
“He’s got to catch me first,” Eve laughed. “I’ll give him a run for his money.”
“But why did you pinch his drugs? Do you use them?”
It was as if someone had flicked a switch. One moment Eve was sitting quietly and speaking quietly then suddenly she was on her feet, her eyes flashing and angry.
“I have never done drugs! And I have no intention of ever taking them! My young brother died last year after taking one tablet! It destroyed my parents, Dad left home not long after. He felt somehow responsible!”
“I’m sorry! I’m sorry! “I repeated over and over. “That was a stupid thing I said.”
Eve seemed to calm down and after a few minutes asked if she could lay her head on my shoulder to get a few hours of sleep. I gratefully agreed and soon her sweet warm breath was tickling my chin. I admired her secretly as she slept. Eve had long brown hair, green eyes and a pixie like nose. Truly a beauty, I thought as I too slipped into a doze.

Once again I was back in the room where the black clothed men gathered. The deer had blood on its body and was breathing in short gasps.
“She is in great danger!” one of the men shouted.
“You hold her fate in your hands,” another hissed.
“But what would you have me do?” I pleaded to the assembly as the wounded animal moved back and forward.

“Well, well, well!” came a loud braying voice. “Isn’t this cosy!”
A brutish looking young man stood just inside the door. Behind him stood three other thug like youths. I felt Eve awake and cringe as she took in the scene.
“Lommie!” she spluttered. “It’s not what you think…!”
“And what should I think my little beauty or should I say thief!” Lommie spat at her. “Where have you put my stash? Bommo said he left it for me and I still have to pay for it or else he will be looking for me like I have been hunting for YOU!”
“Lommie, you don’t need the drugs. Give them up!” Eve pleaded.
Lommie looked uncomfortable and glanced around the room nervously. “That’s right girl, involve all these good people. They don’t need to know anything! Get your coat on, we’re going!” Lommie looked around again, but this time with menace, daring anyone to intervene.
Mory and Guy looked down at their feet and Eli Fallon raised his hands in placation. Jeb and Saul looked on uncomfortably.
“No, Lommie. I want to stay here!” Eve shrieked.
A knife suddenly appeared in Lommie’s hand and he walked over to where Eve sat and grabbing her by the arm, yanked her to her feet.
“Please Lommie…!” Eve sobbed struggling.
All at once I heard the voice by my left ear whisper,
“Save her, she is in great danger!”
Lommie was dragging Eve to the door as I leapt to my feet. With a clenched fist I struck Lommie on the side of the face. He let Eve go and turned on me snarling like a wild animal. He swung the knife to and fro looking for an opening to stab me. I jumped back and began to step side to side in an effort to put his aim off.
“Right lads!” screamed Lommie to his three allies. “Get him, we’ll take ‘em both and have some fun!”
“Your not taking Eve anywhere!” I shouted as the three youths approached me in a pincer fashion. I can’t take them all, I thought desperately.
“And who’s going to stop us?” sneered brave Lommie as he and his ‘men’ prepared to take on one unarmed man.

“We will! Wont we guys?” came a loud voice from behind the group of four youths.
Mori and Eli stood shoulder to shoulder and all at once began to wade into the opposition. It was obviously a rallying cry for next Jeb and then Saul joined the fray. Even little stuttering Guy had been endowed with a solid right hook and knew how to use it.
Oh, Lommie’s gang were the typical bullies, plenty of bull but little bottle; but they bled and wailed like the rest of us.

Soon it was over and the four drugees turned and ran out into an unforgiving night where even Nature had turned on them.

Jeb opened the bar again and handed out drinks ‘on the house’.
We stood together like comrades after a long, hard battle and toasted each other’s bravery.
“These little buggers needed sorting out. They’ve ruined Dounitch with their blessed drugs. It’s time we all made a stand!” Jeb said filling up my glass for the umpteenth time.

Early that following morning the wind had dropped and a massive thaw was under way. We all felt like sole survivors emerging from a shelter as we walked out onto the street, but now with the snow only recognisable as little piles here and there, we realised that it was business as usual in Dounitch. The milkman drove by us in his van, the dustcart was collecting the bins and several of the inhabitants of the town were clearing slush from the front of their houses.

I had had an experience that I was not liable to forget in a hurry. As I remembered that assembly of men dressed in black, I wondered who they could have been. Could it have been a spiritual residue of the Gentles? Maybe they hadn’t just gone away as Jeb had said, maybe they were part and parcel of the fabric of the town of Dounitch in the background, but still influencing good in people. I like to think that was what it was.

The train pulled away from the station and I waved goodbye to my four new friends who had insisted they see me off. Did I say four friends? Well my fifth friend decided to come with me on my sojourn north. Until Lommie was sorted out by his supplier, Bommo and associates, Dounitch was not a place Eve wished to remain in and anyway I think something might develop between us – given time.

“Where did you hide Lommie’s drugs?” I asked my beautiful travelling companion.
“In the back of his mum’s fire,” she replied, looking at her watch. “The old girl will just be about to light it up! I hope there aren’t any birds by the chimney!”


Cairniehill
  31/01/14
…………………………………+……………………………………….


No comments:

Post a Comment