Wednesday 15 February 2012

Action Man (Short Story)




Action Man

I had to locate the mark first.

That was always the tricky part, as I trudged through the rain, squeezing the trigger was easy. I hated to bragg but my experience was second to none. Conflict after conflict and since going alone, uncountable hits.

My death machine was my beloved Blaser Tactical Sniper Rifle. A high precision take-down weapon, as their known, fitted beautifully into a small case with an allen key and a 4 minute build time. It took me less, I was obsessed with practice.

Approaching the rear of the property, about 200 yards away through the woodland, I scouted for a position. I was camo'd up invisibly, complete with combat jacket, bush hat and MTP face paint, just as they'd taught me in the British forces, the best trained army in the world.

Locating a suitable low lying bush, just by the attacking edge of the woodland I sat amongst it. Infiltration completed. There, I checked my watch, time was good, and built my weapon. Suitably built, loaded and in position I would wait and wait and wait.....

Not noted for being the most patient guy in the world but after years of practice I was getting good at it. It was an art in itself but preparation was the key. Once that was in place, it was down to opportunity and accuracy.

A time check revealed 23.37pm, won't be long now, and then i could add another notch to my stock.

The rain still fell, I was drowning amongst the woodland but i had a job to do, a deletion to carry out. Light was bad but I'd left the night vision scope back at base. I'd get by, I was trained to....

Then without warning, the Mark arrived, on the move, towards the rear of the property, I tracked him in my sights. Just a seconds pause, just briefly and it was goodnight, job done.

My chance came, he faltered at the rear of the outhouse, I zoomed, squeezed.......and missed!!

Blew my shed window in!! I tried to reload my Webley 22 air rifle but the Mark fled. I sprang up in disgust, stood in a rabbit hole and went over on my ankle. Spilling my lead pellets in the bushes, I fell and broke my home made gun case, the wood was soaked anyway and the nails loose.

Tumbling into the bush, I tore my olive cagoule and knocked off my NY baseball cap. Staving my thumb and with my face paints (Halloween novelties) stinging my eyes, I miserably gathered my kit together.

I'd lost the Battle but not the War...................Lucky Fox!!

I headed home fairly briskly, I'd been needing a shit all night...............

No comments:

Post a Comment