Saturday 11 February 2012

Decide (short story) by Dr. Strange

What would you do?
I mean, put yourself in my shoes!

I don’t know why I did it, at the time. I suppose I panicked. I saw the sports bag; it was just like my old Adidas kit bag – only instead of sponges and old rags it contained bundles of notes – cash!

The old warehouse windows were opaque with stour. I cursed Frank for sending me to this one, even as I wondered if it was the right place; it seemed totally abandoned. I wouldn't be surprised if this was Frank's idea of a joke; he had a sick sense of humour.

The wipe of my squeegee revealed a dull interior. I was curious with the old buildings; you never new what you might see…

It took a moment for my eyes to adjust; I was peering through the gloom when I saw a movement at the back of the room. There was someone there! Two guys, in fact …and it looked like a heated discussion. There was something odd about the scene; what on earth were they doing? skulking around in semi-darkness! I could hear voices through the glass; they must have been shouting.

One guy abruptly flicked his jacket back and pulled something out in a quick pointing motion - Light glinted on metal  - a gun! 

I gasped and dropped my squeegee, almost losing my balance on the ladder. The guy glanced around wildly. A fatal mistake; the other guy had a gun out now. There was a terrific bang! Two muzzle flashes lit the gloom. The window pane rattled and my ears rang with the vibration.  

As I recovered my balance, I saw the first guy slammed back from the impact of a bullet to his chest area; he staggered and his gun fired in reflex; the shot passed clean through his antagonist’s head. He looked amazed at such a crack shot. Then he abruptly collapsed.

I clung to my ladder in terror. Yet it all seemed somehow surreal; I half expected the two guys to jump back up and dust themselves off, like a couple of movie stunt men - but the scene remained deathly still and silent…I’m not sure how long I gawped … I was trying to get my head into gear, I had to get a grip…I should be doing something...call an ambulance or the police? But I didn't like the police.

The sports bag caught my attention; like mine but stuffed with notes…

Slowly, an idea was forming…It was a crazy but I couldn't resist it.
Had anyone heard the gun shots? No one seemed to have raised the alarm - yet!

I checked the window; a hard shove would probably get the sash up. Movie scenarios were filling my mind… madness, I know. But maybe I could pull this off, I could - couldn’t I? It was the perfect opportunity. Just swap the bags. Scatter a few notes around – not too many, just enough to make it convincing. You had to account for forensics. Set the lot ablaze – and get the hell out of there!

I saw myself on an exotic beach, with an exotic bond girl…ok, scrub the bond girl, that was total fantasy...but anyway, me and Jenny on the perfect honey moon, no expenses spared. that was a fantasy too - But, maybe, if I played my cards right...

'Oih! Shit-furbrians! Get yurarse doon here!'

Fuck! It was Frank and he was having a great laugh to himself, at my expense, as usual. Bastard!

By the time I climbed down the ladder I had made up my mind.

What would you do?

Wait, while you think about it, I'll get another round of cocktails in. The drinks here are brilliant.




No comments:

Post a Comment